The Unity of the Father and the Son:
A Call to Honor Jesus
A. Healing on the Sabbath, John 5:16.
B. Review of the Trinity, see sermon john_1019.htm.
1. There is only one God, the living and true God.
2. There are three persons in the Godhead: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
3. These three are one God, the same in essence, equal in power and glory.
4. The Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding.
5. The personality of the Son is eternally begotten of the Father.
6. The personality of the Holy Spirit proceeds eternally from both the Father and the Son.
7. Subordination of essence in the Godhead is denied, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit being equal.
8. Subordination of persons in the Godhead is affirmed, the Son submitting to the Father and the Holy Spirit submitting to both with respect to role and hierarchy.
9. The hierarchical order in the Godhead of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is permanent.
10. Each person in the Godhead works on our behalf to bring us through this life and into the life to come.
II. Jesus is equal to the Father.
A. My Father, John 5:17.
B. Equality, John 5:18; Colossians 2:9.
III. Jesus is led by the Father, John 5:19; Ephesians 5:22.
IV. Jesus is loved by the Father, John 5:20; Isa 50:4; 1 Cor 1:24; and Prov 8:22-31.
V. Jesus is honored by the Father.
A. The authority to give live, John 5:21-23.
1. Physical life, Mat 9:23; Mark 5:22; Luke 8:41; and Luke 7:11-16.
2. Spiritual life, John 5:24-25; Romans 8:9; and 1 Peter 1:11.
3. Resurrection, John 5:26-30.
B. The authority to judge, John 5:29-30.